The story

Nicholson I TB-29 - History

Nicholson I
(TB-29: dp. 218; 1 175'; b. 17'8"; dr. 6'5"; s. 25 k.; cpl. 28; a. 3 18" tt., 3 1-pdr.; cl. Blakely)

The first Nicholson (TB-29) was laid down 6 December 1898 by Lewis Nixon Shipyard, Elizabethtown, N.J., Launched 23 September 1901; sponsored by Mrs. Oliver Hazard Perry Belmont; and commissioned at New York 10 January 1905, Lt. W. S. Miller in command.

Nicholson served with the Atlantic Fleet until struck from the Navy List 3 March 1909 to be used as a target.

Our History

How did it happen? Well, you see, my father, the Commander, was in the Royal Navy and the family followed his appointments, when feasible, to be near him. In wartime, it was possible to rent unfurnished houses, but impossible to find furnished houses. So what did we do? Well, we bought a yacht, cheap – a beautiful 70 ft schooner of 1903 vintage.

We didn’t want the yacht, nobody did in wartime, but this lovely one, the Mollihawk, was lying in a mud berth on the Dart and she was FURNISHED! We bought the yacht just for the knives, forks and spoons, linen and blankets – all the things that were impossible to find, for one needed ration books to buy them in the shops if one could. So we bought the yacht to furnish a house near Plymouth, Devon, England.

After the war, when we two lads came out of the services, the Commander had already started refitting Mollihawk with an idea of going back to the West Indies where he had once patrolled the islands during the war, just as Nelson once did. At the time, Dad was based in Bermuda and we had braved the Battle of the Atlantic to join him there. It was amongst those islands we learnt our first seamanship when going shopping across the Sound.

The Commander had always wanted to return to the West Indies because of the constant trade wind, saying it was possible to get to cocktail parties on time to any island! I said “Come on, Dad, you’re always talking and we never do anything”! That was it! We soon set sail from Cork, where we happened to be, and calling at Cascais, Gibraltar, Tangier, the Canaries, we arrived in Barbados seven weeks later on January 1, 1949.

We then sailed up the islands to Antigua arriving at St. John’s on Feb 8th. Here we spent a month, my father interviewing big time businessmen hoping to find jobs for his sons. They were very pessimistic, as the sugar industry had started to run down, the workers beginning to realize they were being exploited too much. There was even a year’s series of strikes.

So on March 9th at 4:30 pm we first came to alongside the inner wharf at the old 1745 Naval Dockyard, (Nelson’s Dockyard, English Harbour) little knowing we would be spending the rest of our lives there!

The first thing we did was a big refit on the grassy deserted wharves. Then we picked up shingles, wind strewn over the dockyard, to fix the roof of the old Commissioner’s Room & Paymaster’s House in which we squatted to make a shoreside home.

The people were very poor, and later at English Harbour, Mrs. Nicholson gave bread to hungry children. She became very popular and even to this day, the Nicholson family is still thought well of in English Harbour. Also, I suppose, because we had created a new industry for Antigua, thus creating new jobs after the demise of sugar.

One day, when refitting after the ocean voyage alongside the deserted wharves, where there were only goats grazing amongst the ruins, a rich American from the newly established Mill Reef Club said “Gee, what a lovely schooner, you wouldn’t take us for a sail down islands, would you?”

Well, that’s how it all started. From then on, charters snowballed. First Dad and one son went along and left the other to look after Mum in the Pay Office, then the day came when the sons went sailing alone. All the time we kept in touch on 2527 kz with a surplus American tank transceiver, with dials all marked in Russian, as they had been made to support “Aid for Russia” during the war.

One day, a visiting American yachtsman left his yacht with us to operate, and an Englishman sent an air ticket for me to fetch the 84 ft. schooner “Freelance” of 1908 vintage from the Mediterranean. My crew consisted of five girls and two men. So after arrival each of us had a yacht to go chartering on!

There were two hurricanes in 1950, so when the Governor of the Leewards was visiting hurricane refugees in the Officer’s Quarters, he saw this lovely schooner lying alongside and he knew that she had been taking charters down islands. Amongst all the destruction he saw a “small ray of hope amid the despair.” And so an idea was born… “Why should the old buildings not be used again for sailing ships, though for yachts rather than men-‘o-war? Why should the Dockyard not become a memorial to the great deeds of the Royal Navy… and why should it not become a tourist resort?”

Voluntarily the Commander became the first restoration Supervisor for the Society of Friends of English Harbour, but contrary to legend, the Nicholsons did not restore English Harbour, they simply made it come alive – something that helped restoration.

I swallowed the anchor after I married my charterer’s daughter (1957) and my brother Rodney, married (1956) Julie, a young lady off the brigantine (Irving Johnson’s) “Yankee” that had just circumnavigated. She’d been round the whole world and not seen a man like Rodney! And so we got spliced, settled down.


This section lists the names and designations that the ship had during its lifetime. The list is in chronological order.

    Spruance Class Destroyer
    Keel Laid 20 February 1976 - Launched 29 November 1977

Naval Covers

This section lists active links to the pages displaying covers associated with the ship. There should be a separate set of pages for each incarnation of the ship (ie, for each entry in the "Ship Name and Designation History" section). Covers should be presented in chronological order (or as best as can be determined).

Since a ship may have many covers, they may be split among many pages so it doesn't take forever for the pages to load. Each page link should be accompanied by a date range for covers on that page.


This section lists examples of the postmarks used by the ship. There should be a separate set of postmarks for each incarnation of the ship (ie, for each entry in the "Ship Name and Designation History" section). Within each set, the postmarks should be listed in order of their classification type. If more than one postmark has the same classification, then they should be further sorted by date of earliest known usage.

A postmark should not be included unless accompanied by a close-up image and/or an image of a cover showing that postmark. Date ranges MUST be based ONLY ON COVERS IN THE MUSEUM and are expected to change as more covers are added.
>>> If you have a better example for any of the postmarks, please feel free to replace the existing example.

Nicholson I TB-29 - History

2002, Nicholson

'Summer Tsunami' (Gordon and Lorraine Nicholson, R. 2001). TB, 29" (74 cm). Midseason bloom and re-bloom. Standards and style arms light lavender Falls dark purple beards purple, yellow in throat pronounced fragrance. 'Autumn Bugler' X unknown. Woodland 2002.

Please do not enter images that are not your own without owners' permission, this is against Wiki policy

"Although the Encyclopedia is free to all, it is supported by Emembership in AIS, If you would like to help sustain this reference, for $15 you can become an Emember, click here."

Interested in Tall Bearded Iris? Please visit the: Tall Bearded Iris Society website.

Lewis Nixon, I

Lewis Nixon I (April 7, 1861 — September 23, 1940) was a naval architect, shipbuilding executive, public servant, and political activist. He designed the United States' first modern battleships, and supervised the construction of its first modern submarines, all before his 40th birthday. He was briefly the leader of Tammany Hall. He started an ill-fated effort to run seven major American shipyards under common ownership as the United States Shipbuilding Company, and he was the chair of the New York City commission building the Williamsburg Bridge.

Birth and naval education

Nixon was born on the eve of the American Civil War, in Leesburg, Virginia, to Colonel Joel Lewis Nixon and Mary Jane Turner. Leesburg, only three miles into the Confederacy, changed hands several times over the course of the War. His brother George H. Nixon fought in the Virginia Cavalry as a member of "Mosby's Raiders."

Nixon graduated first in his class from the United States Naval Academy in 1882 and was sent to study naval architecture at the Royal Naval College, where, in 1885, he again graduated first in the class. At the Royal Naval College he was appointed an assistant naval constructor with the rank of lieutenant.

Shipbuilding and other businesses

On Nixon's return to the United States, he was assigned to the John Roach & Sons shipyard in Chester, Pennsylvania, which the United States Navy had commandeered in order to finish three protected cruisers of the new steel navy: USS Atlanta, USS Boston, and USS Chicago. In 1890, with help from assistant naval constructor David W. Taylor, he designed the three Indiana-class battleships - USS Indiana (BB-1), USS Massachusetts (BB-2) and USS Oregon (BB-3). While in Pennsylvania, he earned a Doctor of Science degree from Villanova University.

Soon after the contracts for the battleships were awarded, he resigned from the Navy to work as Superintendent of Construction for William Cramp and Sons Shipbuilding Company, the shipyard that won the lead contract.

Nixon married Sally Lewis Wood of Washington, D.C. in 1891. She died June 15, 1937.[3] Mrs. Nixon was a descendant of General Andrew Lewis of Colonial Virginia. Their son was Stanhope Wood Nixon. Adolfo Müller-Ury also painted him full-length in Scottish costume in 1902-1903.

Nixon started his own business in January 1895 by leasing the Crescent Shipyard in Elizabeth, New Jersey. He started this business with another former William Cramp and Sons shipbuilder and naval architect, Arthur Leopold Busch, who came from Great Britain to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1892, and was Nixon's superintendent-in-charge at Crescent during this time. Under Nixon (and Busch) this yard built many vessels, including torpedo boats USS Nicholson (TB-29) and USS O'Brien (TB-30)], cruiser USS Chattanooga (CL-18), monitor USS Florida (BM-9) and gunboat USS Annapolis (PG-10).

Beginning in December 1896, the Crescent Shipyard, under Nixon's oversight, built the United States' first submarines. The USS Holland (SS-1) was one of the creations of that shipyard and is a very significant achievement in naval technology. The submarine's success led to an order for more submarines of the "Holland Type" by the Navy. Those subs, known as the Plunger-class submarines, were built at the Crescent Shipyard and the Union Iron Works, a shipbuilding firm located near Mare Island Naval Shipyard, 20 miles north of San Francisco. These submarines became America's first fleet of underwater fighting vessels, and were operated by the United States Navy on both coasts.

These submarines also gave birth to a new company, founded by John Philip Holland on February 7, 1899. His company was then known as the Holland Torpedo Boat Company and (after 1904) the Electric Boat Company.

Nixon was also the founder of the International Smokeless Powder and Dynamite Company of Parlin, New Jersey, and the Standard Motor Construction Company of Jersey City, New Jersey. E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company acquired the smokeless powder company from Nixon in 1904, forming part of what would soon be deemed DuPont's unlawful monopoly of the gunpowder industry.

Nixon was the president of the United States Long Distance Automobile Company. From 1901 to 1903, its Jersey City, New Jersey factory manufactured gasoline-powered cars "to meet the requirements of those who seek simplicity of construction, economy in running and unusual strength and durability." In January 1904, the company became Standard Motor Construction Company, which manufactured a larger car called a "Standard" through 1905. The auto lines were then sold to Hewitt Motor Co. of New York City. Nixon continued to serve as Standard Motor Construction's president into the next decade, when it was a major manufacturer of marine engines.

In 1902, promoter John W. Young persuaded Nixon to preside over the consolidation of Crescent Shipyard with six other shipyards on the East and West Coasts, to form a single shipbuilding trust, under the name United States Shipbuilding Company. Unfortunately, however, "the one thing [the consolidated firms] lacked, individually and collectively, was a realistic prospect of earning sustained profits." As the newly formed company's president, Nixon had personally convinced Charles M. Schwab, U.S. Steel Corporation president and Bethlehem Steel owner, to help underwrite the new business, while Schwab agreed to add Bethlehem Steel to the venture. However, the terms that Nixon and Schwab had negotiated for Schwab's financing were so one-sided in favor of Schwab and Bethlehem Steel that, when United States Shipbuilding failed almost immediately, it damaged the business reputations of both Nixon and Schwab. Within a year of its incorporation, the company's mortgageholders forced it into receivership. It emerged from receivership, without Nixon, as Bethelem Steel and Shipbuilding Company, in 1904. One of its first actions was to close Crescent Shipyard. By then, Nixon had re-entered the shipbuilding business by leasing a yard in Perth Amboy, New Jersey.

From late 1904 to January 1906, Nixon was in Russia supervising the construction of ten torpedo boats for the navy of Czar Nicholas II.

Nixon's shipbuilding expertise was called on in the aftermath of the sinking of the RMS Titanic.

In 1910 the Swiss-born American artist Adolfo Müller-Ury (1862�) completed a three-quarter length seated portrait of Nixon that was exhibited at Knoedler's that December.

From 1915 until his death, Nixon was president of the Nixon Nitration Works, in what is now Edison, New Jersey. A 1924 explosion and resulting fire destroyed much of the Works, which was then rebuilt and resumed operations.

He died on September 23, 1940 at Monmouth Memorial Hospital in Long Branch, New Jersey.

Public service and political activism

In 1895, the New York Legislature authorized the East River Bridge Commission to undertake a second span across the river, ultimately known as the Williamsburg Bridge. In January 1898 New York City Mayor Robert Anderson Van Wyck sacked the entire membership of the Commission, complaining of its slow and expensive pace. He appointed Nixon as the Commission's new president. Nixon continued to serve as the Commission's president during the bridge's construction until the Commission's powers were transferred to the Commissioner of Bridges on January 1, 1902.

Nixon was also active in Democratic Party politics. In December 1901, longtime Tammany Hall boss Richard Croker chose Nixon as his successor. Croker's choice of Nixon surprised observers, because Nixon had spoken out against vice and corruption in City government, and seemingly had nothing in common with Croker. Nixon resigned several months later, explaining that "I find that I cannot retain my self-respect and remain the leader of the Tammany organization."

He was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention seven times. A friend and supporter of three-time Democratic presidential nominee William Jennings Bryan, Nixon played a key role in the 1908 Democratic National Convention, where he chaired the subcommittee on the platform, overcame Tammany's initial hostility to Bryan to deliver New York's delegation for him, and was urged as Bryan's running-mate.

A resident of Staten Island, Nixon served from 1914 to 1915 as the borough's Acting Commissioner of Public Works and its consulting engineer.

In 1919, New York Governor Al Smith appointed Nixon as the State's Superintendent of Public Works, and then as New York City's Regulatory Public Service Commissioner.

Nixon was the grandfather of Lewis Nixon III, an officer in the 101st Airborne Division during WWII, who was made famous by the miniseries Band of Brothers.

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

Nicholson I TB-29 - History

History of Nicholson House

41-43 South Prospect St.
Burlington, VT

by Kerry Davis, graduate student, UVM Historic Preservation Program

East Facade of Nicholson House
Photo: Kerry Davis, Nov. 1999

T his is the story of a modest house with a history of change. Having taken on the occupancy of many families and individuals, each with their own ideas and actions having an impact, the history of this house was woven.

The story begins to unravel in 1807 on a hill overlooking Lake Champlain to the west, in the town of Burlington, VT. The University of Vermont had been chartered sixteen years earlier and University Hall was being completed when Moses Catlin signed a deed. The grantees of this deed were Limean, William and Hezekiah Hine of Colchester. They received, for their $800, land with buildings thereon, "adjoining the college square" and marked off in relation to a blacksmith's shop to the north.1

Not quite six years later these men got their $800 back by selling to John Perigo Jr. the same parcel of land, "on the west side of the College Green and beginning at the stake being the southeasterly corner of land in possession of Daniel Farrand Esqr. on which he now lives, thence southerly on the said west line of the College Green, one chain and fifty-six links to a stake, thence north eighty-six degrees west, three chains and seventy links to a stake, thence northerly parallel with the west line of the College Green one chain and seventy-one links to a stake being the southwesterly corner of land in possession of Daniel Farrand aforesaid. Thence by the southerly line of said Farrand's land to the place of the beginning containing ninety seven and eight tenths of a rod of land with buildings thereon standing." 2 A little over two years later, in 1815, Perigo sold the same parcel of land to Guy Catlin, but this time only for $131.52. 3

This land is that which Nicholson House now stands upon. The original portion of Nicholson House is a 2-1/2 story, five bay, frame house in the Federal style. Two bays deep, the building has interior chimneys on each gable end.

It is believed that Perigo was the builder of the oldest portion of Nicholson House prior to the War of 1812. 4 Yet, the course of these land transactions gives one pause when considering this theory, for John Perigo did not own the land until late in 1813. In addition, it seems curious that Perigo would build a new house on land for which he paid $800, then sell this land with the brand new house, only two years later, for a loss of $668.48. A possible explanation could be that this transaction occurred at the end of a spurt of economic prosperity for Burlington, with the U.S. troops occupying UVM during the War of 1812 on their way out of town. In addition, 1815 was known as "the year that summer never came to Vermont," in which there was frost and snow every month of the year, causing complete crop failures and the need for imported wheat. 5

Nonetheless, one can safely refer to the oldest portion of Nicholson House, at 43 So. Prospect St., as having been constructed c1810. The Federal style of the house was quite popular at the time and several houses in Burlington were built during the same time period with quite similar appearances. The Benedict House next door, to the north of Nicholson House, was built sometime between 1809-1815, and has the same Federal style elements. 6 These elements include: overall simple massing of a rectangular box shape, two rooms deep, low-pitched roof, and balanced, symmetrical fenestration.

East and north facades of Nicholson House. Photo: Kerry Davis, Oct. 1999

The following sixty years of the public record are vague for Nicholson House. However, it is known that various UVM faculty occupied the house throughout this period, no doubt due to the convenient location just west of the College Green. Included in the list of faculty residents is Prof. James Dean who taught mathematics at UVM from 1807-1824. 7 He moved on to form with Dr. John Peck, Burlington's first extensive manufacturing operation, the Champlain Glass Works at Winooski Falls, in 1827. 8

Prof. Henry Chaney also resided at Nicholson House while teaching chemistry at UVM. Although, unclear how long he actually was a resident there, Chaney worked for UVM from 1837-1863. 9

It is believed that Mrs. Lucy Ann Abbott and Miss L. M. Abbott lived in Nicholson House at the 43 South Prospect St. from 1875 until 1881, but it is unclear if these women owned the property or were only tenants. 10

The vacancy created by the Abbott's in 1881 was filled by members of the Underwood family, who were tenants until 1887. The Underwood family members residing at 43 So. Prospect included: Levi and Mrs. Levi Underwood, Cornelia C. Underwood, who was a teacher, Levi Underwood Jr., who was a law student, and Thomas C. Underwood, who was a clerk at Wells & Richardson Co. 11

The Underwoods' landlord was D.C. Linsley, a railroad engineer from New York City who had come to Burlington during the Civil War. He was the builder of New York City's Third Avenue Elevated Railroad and Burlington's North Avenue Tunnel. 12 In the spring of 1887, Linsley and his wife Martha sold 43 So. Prospect St. to Isabel J. Hart for the sum of $3000. 13

Isabel J. Hart was the wife of William H. Hart and they lived at this property, along with other members of the Hart family, for six years. These additional family members included Miss A. A. Hart, Miss Annie C. Hart, and Miss Marabel F. Hart. 14 The summer of 1893 found Isabel and William Hart moving to Portland, Maine. In July, they signed the papers transferring ownership of 43 So. Prospect St. to Frances A. Richardson for the amount of $4500. 15

It is possible that under the ownership of either the Linsley's or the Hart's that some major work was done on the house, including a re-flooring of the first floor. As visible from the basement, the floor joists in the oldest portion of the house draw attention to this theory. These 2x8 boards clearly have circular saw marks throughout their broad side, which would date them after the late 1860's. Yet, they seem to predate a later 1890's addition, for the floor joists of that section are 3x8 with much narrower floorboards above. The method of construction of the floor is also distinctly different from that of the older part of the house.

At the change of hands from the Hart's to the Richardson's, the identity of the house at 43 So. Prospect St. was reinvented. As vice-president of Wells & Richardson Co., a wholesale and drug manufacturer, and president of Burlington Drug Co., A. E. Richardson was a wealthy Burlington businessman. In line with his skill and experience, he proceeded to transform 43 So. Prospect St. into a money-making venture. With an enormous rear addition, major stylistic changes and the conversion of the building into a two-family home, Richardson initiated a new chapter in the boarding house history of what had become 41-43 So. Prospect St.

After construction was complete, it appeared as a 3-1/2 story structure with the main addition's gable end intersecting the rear of the original house, perpendicular to the road. A pair of two story bay windows supporting pediments on brackets had been added to each side of the first floor porch. This porch now sheltered the twin main entry doors and was surmounted by a narrower second floor porch with a smaller ornamental pediment above it. Behind this smaller pediment, the gable end of the large rear addition rose, forming an additional, large, ornately carved pediment. In addition to clapboard siding, rich and varied shingling, including a wave pattern and scallops, decorated the bays, the center pediments and the sides of the gable balcony in the rear of the house.

East facade of Nicholson House. Note Queen Anne stylistic addtions.
Photo: Kerry Davis, Nov. 1999

These stylistic changes are clearly inspired by the Queen Anne style, which was popular in the late 1800's. The distinct "application" of these architectural details seems to be an effort to modernize the facade of what would have been considered an "old-fashioned" building. Perhaps, Richardson was intending to make his building more marketable to potential tenants.

The location of 41-43 So. Prospect St., however, was the most attractive quality to the tenants of the building. Nicholson House, since its early days with Prof. James Dean, was always occupied by UVM faculty or students. 16

University of Vermont facilities plan for the basement level of Nicholson House. UVM Land Records Office .

The Richardsons continued to be landlords for what was now 41-43 So. Prospect St. until 1910. By this time, Mrs. Richardson had passed away a year earlier and Mr. Richardson was elderly and poor health. He was able only to mark an "X" for his signature on the deed transferring ownership to Thomas J. Deavitt, Mrs. Richardson's trustee from the Capital Savings Bank & Trust Co. 17

This trust was held until the summer of 1913 when Thomas Deavitt signed the property over to the University of Vermont. 18 The University continued the established trend of Nicholson House being used as lodging for faculty and student for the next fifty years, with one exception. At the time of acquisition of the property and house into the UVM system, a widow, Mrs. Martin T. Buckham was a tenant in #41. She was able to stay in her home until after 1930. 19

The conversion of the house into a duplex was well-planned and thorough. Again, the basement serves as evidence, where a brick dividing wall was constructed down the center of the length of the entire house. Divided equally, each space was independent of the other, with no access between the two (access has since been made with a pass-through cut into the brick with cement patchwork). Each half of the basement had its own descending stair from the first floor, and exit stair ascending to the outside, at the rear of the building (although the south descending stair from the first floor no longer exists, its paint shadow is evident on the brick wall, mirroring the set of stairs on the north half of the basement). It seems as though the first and second floor stairwells on the south side were also removed. One can feel beneath the carpet a rise in the boards below matching exactly the end of the top step on the north stairs. In addition, on the second floor, a break in the molding and a fill-in wall panel indicates the original stairwell location. It seems as though the tenants would not have had to share anything, with the exception of the front porch steps.
View looking down So. Prospect St. with Benedict House in the foreground and Nicholson House just past it, c1920. Note the similarity of shape in these two houses. University of Vermont Archives Detail of view to the left. In addition, note the quarter-circle vents in the gable end of Nicholson House, now covered by aluminum siding.

During the early 1960, the building housed the University Christian Association, home of the Campus Cooperative Ministry. In 1968 that 41-43 So. Prospect St. was modified and the use of Nicholson House shifted to classroom and administrative space, after a year of being vacant. The house was now the Math Building, as well as the Christian Resource Center. 20 This change in use entailed major interior alterations to accommodate offices and classrooms. False walls and paneling were installed throughout, which has since disguised many possible clues as to the building's development. Quick repair and replacement has also fragmented both interior and exterior characteristics. For example, the mopboards throughout the first floor are plain painted wood panels, while on the back wall inside a closet under the stairs, the mopboard has ornate molding. In addition, the 1974 installation of aluminum siding has hidden the expressive, decorative shingling and gable-end quarter circle vents.

The mid-1970's saw the dedication of the house at 41-43 So. Prospect St. as Nicholson House. Named for Prof. George Hubert Nicholson who taught at UVM for fifty years, from 1923-1973. The building, again, took on a new identity, which it retains, for the most part, today.

The continuum of change and conversion is central to the story of Nicholson House. This story is made more clear not only through the physical characteristics, but through archival and contextual evidence. The successive layers of new uses and fashions are an important tangible record of the ever-changing styles and ideas of the owners and occupants. These concepts, manifest through this building, make Nicholson House a most telling artifact.

1. Town of Burlington, Land Records, 3/284.

2. Town of Burlington, Land Records, 4/475.

3. Town of Burlington, Land Records, 5/292.

4. David J. Blow, Historic Guide to Burlington Neighborhoods (Burlington, VT: Chittenden County Historical Society, 1991).

5. Peter Carlough, Bygone Burlington (Burlington, VT: Queen City Printers, Inc., 1976.

6. Hill, Hill Manuscript: The University Buildings 1800-1947 . [located at UVM special collections].

7. Blow, Historic Guide to Burlington Neighborhoods.

8. Carlough, Bygone Burlington.

9. Hill, The University Buildings 1800-1947 , p.93.

10. UVM Green Exhibit [located at UVM special collections] & City of BurlingtonDirectories.

11. City of Burlington Directories .

12. Carlough, Bygone Burlington.

13. City of Burlington, Land Records, 25/217.

14. City of Burlington Directories.

15. City of Burlington, Land Records, 33/180.

16. City of Burlington Directories.

17. City of Burlington, Land Records, 58/541.

18. City of Burlington, Land Records, 59/377.

19. City of Burlington Directories.

20. City of Burlington Directories.

Virginia and Lee McAlester, A Field Guide to American Houses (New York: Knopf, Inc., 1998).

National Register for Historic Places, Nomination for UVM Green Historic District , 1975 [copy located at UVM Land Records Office, Waterman Building, So. Prospect St.].

The New York Public Library - American History Desk Reference , (New York: Stonesong Press Inc., 1997).

Nicholson I TB-29 - History

2004, Nicholson

'Gotcha Daredevil' (Gordon and Lorraine Nicholson, R. 2003). Seedling# 02-04. TB, 29" (74 cm). Late midseason bloom. Standards white ground, blue jay blue plicata stitching from edge to halfway inward, midrib blue style arms light blue falls white, 1/4" blue jay blue stitched edge darker and longer toward haft beards yellow at end, orange, to red orange in throat ruffled slight sweet fragrance. 'Daredevil' X unknown. Woodland 2004.


Please do not enter images that are not your own without owners' permission, this is against Wiki policy

"Although the Encyclopedia is free to all, it is supported by Emembership in AIS, If you would like to help sustain this reference, for $15 you can become an Emember, click here."

Interested in Tall Bearded Iris? Please visit the: Tall Bearded Iris Society website.

Nicholson Family Trees, Crests, Genealogies, Biographies, DNA, and More

Additional Results from Linkpendium's Family Discoverer Search Engine

Linkpendium matches 1 - 10 (out of about 19601 total matching pages):

Biographies of Bristol County, MA (names starting with M to O)
. B. Nicholson, John G. Nicholson, Robert Nickerson, Henry O. Nickerson, John W. Nooning, William B .

Georgia Public Libraries
. Nicholson Libraries Ochlocknee Libraries Pavo Libraries Pearson Libraries Pembroke Libraries Perry Libraries .

Murray Co., GA-Tombstone Transcription Project
. Submitting Transcriptions and Photos Adair Family Cemetery Kaye Nicholson Ball Ground Cemetery Kaye Nicholson .

Pennsylvania Biographies . bios and history of men and women in PA penna
. , John A. Nelson, Joseph Nelson, Robert McCall Neuman, H. L. Newkirk, Henry Newman, Joseph S. Nicholson .

This search took 7 milliseconds.

Linkpendium's goal is to index every genealogy, geneology, :) family history, family tree, surname, vital records, biography, or otherwise genealogically-related site on the Internet. PLEASE HELP! When you find a useful new resource, go to the right Linkpendium page and click on the "Add your favorite Website(s) to this page" link. Thanks from all of us at Linkpendium!

© Copyright 2021 - All Rights Reserved
Last Updated Wednesday, 14 April 2021, 11:30am Pacific

Early Life and Career

Jack Nicholson was born in Neptune, New Jersey, on April 22, 1937, and grew up in Manasquan, New Jersey, about 50 miles south of the city on the Jersey Shore. The people he believed to be his parents were named John and Ethel May Nicholson. John was a department store window dresser and Ethel May was a hairdresser as well as a talented oil painter. June Nicholson, whom he believed was his older sister, was an aspiring actress.

June died of cancer in 1963, when Jack Nicholson was 26 years old. More than a decade after her death, in 1974, a TIME magazine reporter researching a cover story on Nicholson discovered some shocking information: June was in fact Nicholson&aposs mother and John and Ethel May were his maternal grandparents. Since June was 17 years old, unmarried and uncertain of the father&aposs identity at the time of Nicholson&aposs birth, her parents agreed to treat Nicholson as their own child and never reveal to him his true parentage. One of June&aposs ex-boyfriends, Don Furcillo-Rose, has since claimed to be the father, but Nicholson decided not to have paternity testing performed. "I&aposd say it was a pretty dramatic event, but it wasn&apost what I&aposd call traumatizing," Nicholson said about discovering his family&aposs secret. "After all, by the time I found out who my mother was, I was pretty well psychologically formed. As a matter of fact, it made quite a few things clearer to me. If anything, I felt grateful."

Nicholson attended Manasquan High School. Although his grades were good enough to receive a partial scholarship offer, Nicholson was not interested in college. He recalled, "I wasn&apost filled with a burning desire to make something of myself in those days. And since I was only 16, I figured I had plenty of time to go to college later& So I hung around Jersey for about a year. I made a little money at the racetrack, and I worked as a lifeguard at the beach one summer."

In 1954, Nicholson moved out to Los Angeles, California, where June, whom he still believed was his older sister, had an apartment. There, he worked part-time in a toy store and also landed a job as a gopher for the animation department of MGM Studios. By this time, Nicholson had matured into a lean and attractive young man, prototypical of the leading men of Hollywood movies at that time. An MGM producer named Joe Pasternak noticed Nicholson&aposs good looks one day and landed him a spot in Jeff Corey&aposs famed acting classes, as well as an apprenticeship at The Players Ring theater.

William P. Nicholson

T rue passionate preaching is the flower and fruit of passionate praying. The fiery preaching that transforms the Church and the market place is first kindled in the secret place. This truth is powerfully illustrated through the life of W. P. Nicholson. In the early 1920’s, Northern Ireland passed through a period of great strife and bloodshed. These were times of great despair and apprehension. Fear gripped the heart of many and even spread to the churches and religious community. “In the mercy of God, an intervention came from an unexpected source. There began a series of evangelistic campaigns, which in the course of the following years had a profound effect upon the religious and communal life of the Province.” The evangelist used of God during these meetings was W. P. Nicholson. He was a fearless individual, peculiar to some and offensive to others. Nicholson didn’t care what others thought of his manner of speech or methods. He had been taught by God Himself in the secret place and as a result was quite unique in his preaching and dealings with men. To be all-out for the Kingdom of God and it’s interests was his passion. Burning zeal was the chief characteristic of Nicholson’s whole life and ministry.

He wielded the Sword of the Spirit

“Nicholson used to say that when a mission was begun it was not long before they had either a riot or revival. Sometimes we had more riot than revival, but never a revival without a riot.” Nicholson wielded the Sword of the Spirit with a fury. His hearers were always affected one way or another. Some through his preaching were brought to humble repentance, while others resisted God’s Word with indignation.

Two favorite themes of Nicholson were “God’s love” and “God’s hell.” W. P. Nicholson always preached the love of God with all the warmth and tenderness he could muster but for those who rejected this Good News, he offered the only alternative, GOD’S HELL. He preached on every aspect of hell with such zeal and passion that his hearers claimed to be able to almost smell the burning sulphur. Still others, under deep conviction and anxiety, dripped with sweat and unconsciously shredded the hymn books they held in their laps.

Through this kind of fervent preaching, God brought entire communities face to face with the question, “What shall I do with Jesus?” One elderly man who had recollections of the Ulster Revival of 1859 said that some of the effects of Nicholson’s meetings even exceeded what happened in ‘59. Another commentator on Nicholson’s work said that he had seen nothing like it since the days of D. L. Moody.

He was a man of deep prayer

Apart from prayer such revival power is unattainable. Mr. Nicholson was always a man of deep prayer. “Prayer might be called his habit, for he loved to pray. His campaigns had nights and half nights of prayer. Praying in the Spirit kept him in the spirit of prayer. From the prayer closet he mounted the pulpit - endued.” Mr. Lindsay Glegg wrote of W. P. Nicholson, “The secret of his power was no doubt in his prayer life. He stayed at our home . . . and he was up in the morning at six o’clock but he never appeared until twelve noon he spent the hours wrestling with God in prayer. By his own special request he was not disturbed by telephone or visitor, however urgent.” On another occasion the sheets of his bed were found to be torn to shreds. Mr. Glegg again commented “What had happened was that he unconsciously, agonizing in prayer had ripped the sheets into strips . . .” Yes, prayer was surely the secret of his powerful life and ministry.

Perhaps the sweetest fruit of Nicholson’s prayer life was the deep

References Used: All for Jesus - The Life of W. P. Nicholson by Stanley Barnes, W. P. Nicholson Flame for God in Ulster by S. W. Murray, God’s Hell by W. P. Nicholson

Watch the video: Mill Talk: Kissing the Shuttle (November 2021).